Sunday, October 9, 2011

On the Road to Dandi

     Yesterday, I passed the halfway point in my quest to walk 241 miles. The 241 miles is significant, as it represents the number of miles Gandhi trekked on his historic Salt March.
     Gandhi’s march was a response to the British government’s refusal to discuss Indian independence. In 1930, when the march occurred, the British held a monopoly on salt. It was actually illegal for Indians to gather and make their own salt. Gandhi saw salt, and the tax associated with it, as being symbolic of British rule.  In an effort to unite his nation, and help propel the country to “swaraj”- self rule, Gandhi led his followers on a march to defy the unjust British law. After Gandhi arrived in the seaport city of Dandi, he went down to the sea's shore and picked up a lump of salt, thus breaking British law. His actions served as a signal, and all across India the people followed his example.
     Gandhi needed only 24 days to complete his march to the sea. He averaged 10 miles a day, stopping at villages along his route, speaking to, and encouraging the villagers to join his non-violent army. 


     After 36 days, I have walked 124.5 miles. On most days I walk a 2 1/2 mile loop when I get home from work; however, the last three weekends I have been walking between 15-20 miles on Saturday and Sunday combined. I hope to complete my march in early November.
     This past week was the first time my commitment to daily walking was really put to the test. Up to this point, the weather had been my ally, but this week the rain came. It would have been easy for me to use the weather as an excuse, and in the past I probably would have, but after more than a month, taking my evening walk, or as the British would say "constitutional," has become part of my routine. So, instead I borrowed Hope's rain gear I walked with the raindrops.
    In terms of my health, the primary reason why I started walking, I continue to feel energized.  My legs continue to feel strong, the rubbery leg feeling that I experienced when I first started is non-existent, even after my longer walks. I also believe that the daily exercise is helping me maintain my weight, which in turn, makes me feel better about myself.  At 46, soon to be 47, I believe I am in the best shape of my adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment