Monday, November 7, 2011

Part of the Solution

                                                     "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute!"

     Litter. It's one of the things that I've been noticing on my daily walks. It makes me sad, and I can't understand how people can just throw their garbage on the ground. In fact, the other day I watched as a young boy who was eating an ice cream bar just tossed his wrapper and walked away. I really wanted to say something, but I didn't. When did this kind of behavior become OK?
     Eldridge Cleaver once said, "You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem." Of course, Cleaver wasn't referring to pollution, his statement was directed toward the problem of racial inequality. However, I think the idea can be applied to this situation as well.
     I want to be part of the solution. Now, while I haven't been littering I'm still part of the problem. After all, up until now, all I've been doing is complaining about the problem.  In order to be part of the solution, I need to take action. During my walks I will now be carrying a trash bag so that I can start to make a difference. This will be my small part in being the change.

2 comments:

  1. I have always struggled with fulfilling my wish to be a part of the solution and it hasn't been simple. It is so easy for me to find something that I would like to work on changing although I always ends by running up against the wall; how can I help, how do I get started? I love to hear the small things that you and many other people in our community partake in to help in being a part of the solution and it gives me hope that change is possible. When I think about doing something myself though and begin brainstorming projects, I often get caught up thinking that they are just to small and wouldn't help anything. This is what I am struggling with and need to over come. I need to realize that every bit helps. No matter how small I could be doing my part. I know that when I was younger there were many little gestures that I did regularly without even knowing it, so it is high time that I dig back into a bit of my little girl self and find that kindness once more. Change is hard work but we can all do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw the very same thing this weekend... i wanted to scream... but i just picked it for him. and then quickly ran in front of him to put it in the wastebin, ensuring he saw me do it.

    ReplyDelete