Monday, October 17, 2011

Living My Message: An Introduction

     "My life is my message."
                                                                                          -Mahatma Gandhi

     On the occasion of Gandhi's 70th birthday Albert Einstein commented that, "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this one ever in flesh and blood walked upon this Earth." Gandhi lived his life by example; this garnered him a moral high ground and gained him respect, even from those who didn't agree with him. His conviction and belief in what he was doing, and in why he was doing it, shined through his life's actions. 
     Internalizing Gandhi's words, I have begun asking, what is my life's message. In trying to answer this question, I have been trying to honestly examine how I've chosen to live my life. This hasn't been easy; self-reflection rarely is, and it's forced me to confront my many shortcomings.  During this process, I continually remind myself that reflection is not about blame or shame, but rather, it is an opportunity to evaluate what changes can be made. It has been important not to fall into the trap of "what if," or dwell on past failures, but instead, at 46, shortly to be 47,  recognize that I am still, very much, a work in progress.
     When I think in terms of my life's "message," I want to focus on changes in my roles as an educator, husband, and grandfather. In each of these roles, I have strengths and weaknesses. For me, understanding that I have room to grow isn't the problem; after, all I have no illusion or delusions that I'm perfect. Instead, the hard part is being committed to the work of making meaningful change happen. I believe change can only happen when you are truly ready to embrace it.  And seeing how my efforts have benefited me, as well as the people around me, has become a strong motivation to continue this work. I feel ready for the continued challenge of embracing these changes.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, thanks for sharing this blog. It's been a pleasure to read it and watch you lead by example at A3.
    I will try to commit to following your example of exercising, downsizing, and using non-violent communication.

    Proppers,

    Erik

    ReplyDelete